POW Search

Graduation Massachusetts Nautical School George W. Duffy, Baton Rouge Nat. Convention 1998 At "The Boston Post", December 1945

The Motorship American Leader, pre- World War II in Chesapeake Bay.

Last Name: `
First Name Middle Initial:
Nick Name:
Street:  140 OCEAN BLVD City & State: SEABROOK BEACH, NH E-Mail:  geoduffy@thepipeline.net
Zip: 03874-4926 Phone:  603 474-2005 Spouse: MARGARET
Conflict: WW II Service Branch: Civilian Unit: M.S. AMERICAN LEADER
Theater: Where Captured: 850 MILES WEST OF CAPETOWN Date Captured: 09/10/42
Camps Held In: Two German naval vessels: HSK MICHEL and TSS UCKERMARK. Ten Japanese labor camps on Java, Singapore, and Sumatra. How Long Interned: 1119 days
liberated / repatriated: liberated Date Liberated: 10/03/45 Age at Capture: 20 years, 4 months
Medals Received: Mariner's Medal,POW Medal
Military Job: Navigating Bridge Watch Officer Company: United States Lines
Occupation after War:  Merchant Marine Officer

Military Bio:

Immediately following George's graduation from high school in 1939, and as the result of a competitive examination, he was admitted to the Massachusetts Nautical School. Concurrently came enlistment in the U. S. Naval Reserve with the rank of Cadet, U.S.N.R., M.M.R. The school was a three-masted sailing vessel named NANTUCKET, which was built as the U.S.S. RANGER in 1886. One hundred and twenty cadets lived on board during their two year enrollment. Winters were spent in Boston, summers at sea.

In September 1941 George was graduated and obtained a position as 8-12 watch officer in a freighter named AMERICAN LEADER. Following a long trip to the Far East (they were in Manila on December 8, 1941) and return to New York via Australia and New Caledonia, they then loaded military cargo for the Russians (in the Persian Gulf) and the British (in India). On September 10, 1942, homeward bound, deep-laden with rubber, latex, and riches of the Middle East, in a position about 850 miles west of Capetown, the AMERICAN LEADER was attacked and destroyed by the German auxiliary cruiser MICHEL. Two hours after the night-time sinking, the MICHEL returned to the scene and picked up 47 of the 58 man crew. Following 4 weeks as prisoners, during which time a British freighter was sunk, George and others were transferred to a German naval replenishment vessel, the UCKERMARK. Unfortunately, this ship was bound from Europe to Japan by way of Batavia (now Jakarta), Java.

There, on November 6, 1942, they were turned over to the Japanese. George remained on Java in 3 different camps until the end of June 1944 when he went to Singapore in a group of 1200 POWs aboard a small Japanese ship, the CHUKKA MARU. From there they were moved to Sumatra for the construction of the so-called Pakan Baru Railway. George labored in 6 camps along the 138 mile length of this project which was completed on August 15, 1945.Of the AMERICAN Leaderís 47 survivors, 13 were lost in the TAMAHOKO MARU near Nagasaki on June 26, 1944, 4 were lost in the JUNYO MARU in the Indian Ocean on September 18, 1944, and two died on the Pakan Baru Railway. Thus, of the original 58 men who left New York on April 26, 1942, 28 came home.

George arrived in the United States on October 8, 1945, visited his parents, siblings, and friends, and in early January 1946 after less than 90 days recuperation he went back to sea with the Merchant Marine. Ultimately, he was licensed as Master of Steam and Motor Vessel, Any Tonnage, Upon Oceans, and commanded two vessels before swallowing the anchor.

Visit George Duffy's Merchant Marine Page at http://www.usmm.org/duffy.html

To Edit Bio Click Here
Return to CombatVets.net Home Page
This Site Published CombatVets Network, Division of LovedOnes Inc. (727) 588-0747